It is important that your website is safe at all times from hackers. These hackers do not just intend to acquire any important information about you, such as you credit card number or any other information, but also, they penetrate your website so they can acquire a temporary web server for illegal files, and also to make it a haven for viruses that your visitors will unknowingly acquire.
Now if you have just set up your website and you are not sure how to do it, here are some advices that you have to follow immediately so as to ensure that you are safe at all times:
- Always update your software. Whether you are running a CRM or a forum, it is always important that you have it updated at all times as even the slightest bug can be a good pathway to be exploit by hackers. However, if you are using a hosting solution, there is no need to do so as the company immediately updates your website to avoid such occurrence.
- Use parameterized queries to ensure that hackers who use web form field or URL parameter will not be able to insert rogue codes in order for them to get information and delete data on your website.
- Strip out any HTML or habitually check the data being given on your form to ensure that hackers won’t be able to run any malicious codes when accessing your web form.
- Use generic error messages such as “Wrong log-in information,” and the like. Never let the person know that either the username or password is correct because you are giving him an idea that he is on the right track and he is only required to concentrate on a particular field just to be able to access your website.
- Bolt down your server. There are a number of ways to hack a website, the most basic way is to enter through the CMS system. However, a more sophisticated way to do this is to go through the server. You should secure your server with a user application such as iptables or a cheap windows VPS.
- Use hard to decipher passwords – preferably a mixture of lower and upper case, numbers and characters. Additionally, long passwords are also hard to figure out, so make sure that you use something that has more than 8 characters.
- Be careful in letting your visitors upload files on your website, even if it is just a simple picture, because hackers can include scripts that can immediately give them an access on your website – yes, that’s how smart they are so you really need to watch out!
- Add security tools. There are several security tools available online that can be acquired for free or by purchasing their plans. These are guaranteed efficient in keeping your website safe from exploitation. Just check out online reviews from reputable users so that you will be guaranteed that you will be using the right security tools that can cater all your needs.
Remember, a well-secured website is what you need most to either keep your integrity and protect you in the World Wide Web. Do not be too lax on your website if you do not want to be sorry in the end.